• To acquaint teachers with a highly acclaimed novel ideal to work with in the Language/Literature class.
• To provide teachers with innovative teaching strategies that will allow them to make the most of the novel.
• To relate the novel to the themes of migrants, refugees and dictatorships and to make intertextual references through these themes
• To acquaint teachers with new materials which might be both engaging for students to read and solid preparation for later set exams (IGCSE).
Participants will be provided with a presentation with extracts of relevant parts in the
texts so as to be able to appreciate linguistic and stylistic features in the text.
NO PREVIOUS READING OF MATERIAL IS REQUIRED
- Falconer, Rachel. The Crossover Novel: Contemporary Children’s Literature and its Adult Readership, N. Y.: Routledge, 2009.
- Nuttall, Christine. Teaching Reading Skills in a Foreign Language, Oxford, Macmillan, Heinemann, 1982/1996.
- Naidoo, Beverley. The Other Side of Truth, N. Y.: Harper Collins, 2000.