- To promote a context-based approach to the reading of texts which lend themselves to exploring “hybrid literatures” in Englishes.
- To look for and build strategies to raise participants’ awareness of specific cultures and their worlds of meaning.
- To delve into the concepts of “auto-ethnographies”, “border writing”, “displacement”, “dislocation” and “diaspora” as well as “travelling cultures” and “dynamic identities”.
1) Presentation and discussion of how to approach “Border Literatures in Englishes” 2) Guided group reflection and exchange of ideas on the main themes and issues raised by the text. 3) Reading of key extracts in the short stories and reflecting on how they mean.
- BASS, R. and Young, J. (2003) Beyond Borders: A Cultural Reader. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.
-BASS. R. (1999) Border Texts. Cultural Readings for Contemporary Writers. Boston &New York: Houghton Mifflin.
-CLACKY, G. (ed.). (2010) Writers on America: 15 Reflections. New York: Routledge.
-GONZALEZ, B. (2002) Latino Boom: An Anthology of US Latino Literature, Longman Pearson: New York.