- To introduce the context of production and the relation of the novel with other texts:
Russian short stories that have an intertextual link to “The Namesake” and some of Lahiri’s
- To provide IG literature teachers with useful tools for the analysis of the novel marked by
- To discuss possible ways of facilitating students' reading and interpretations of the text.
- To share ways of approaching the text in class with engaging activities.
- To reflect upon the importance of cultural awareness.
- (Post)Colonialism and migration.
- Identity and the significance of names: Nikhil and Gogol
- Second generation: Indian-Americans?
- Society and class: reading the social struggle
- Intertextual references: Russian literature and references to books in the novel
- Postmodern life in conflict with a modern perspective: Nikhil and Sonia versus Ashima and
- Presentation and discussion of how to deal with the novel's issues.
- Participants will be presented with material to arouse students' interest and to facilitate their
understanding of the novel.
- Discussion of possible ways to enhance students’ production for IG Literature
- IG syllabus and material available on www.cie.org.uk
- Bhatt, Mahesh B., Struggle to Acculturate in the Namesake: A Comment on Jhumpa
Lahiri's Work as Diaspora Literature. IMDS Working Paper series.
- Brennan, Sue, Time, Space, and National Belonging in The Namesake: Redrawing South
Asian American Citizenship in the Shadow of 9/11. California Digital Library.
- Gogol, Nikolai Vasilevich, selection of short stories.
- Lahiri, Jhumpa, Interpreter of Maladies. London, Flamingo, 2000.
- Lahiri, Jhumpa, The Namesake. New York, First Mariner Books edition, 2004
- Paradoxes of Generational Breaks and Continuity in Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake by
Venkatesh Puttaiah. Asiatic, volume 6, number 1.
- Mangayarkarasi, K., Cultural Alienation and Loss of Identity in Jhumpa Lahiri's The
Namesake. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science.
- Pereira Marques, Carine, What Is In a Name?: Dislocation and Relocation in The
Namesake. Facultade de Letras, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.