- To introduce the memoir as a genre and important notions of feminist theory as a framework to better understand the protagonist's struggle.
- To comment on the miniseries' adaptation of the novel, its narrative structure and symbolic scenes.
- To read and analyse key extracts from the literary work.
- Review of Stephanie Land's life and career.
- Analysis and commentary of the main aspects of the novel and the adaptation into a miniseries.
- Analysis and commentary of the success behind the Netflix production.
- Participants who enroll in this course will be sent the pdf version of the novel to read. They are also advised to watch the miniseries beforehand.
- Guided group discussion will be provided in order to analyse and enjoy the literary text and the miniseries.
Gamble, S. (2006). The Routledge Companion to Feminism and Postfeminism. New York: Routledge.
Genette G. (1989) Palimpsestos, la Literatura en Segundo Grado, Madrid: Taurus.
Land, S. (2019) Maid: Hard work, low pay and a mother's will to survive. New York: Hachette.
Land S. (2015-2021) Selection of articles published in The Guardian and The Washington Post.