- To explore Roupenian’s tale in the context of her anthology of short fiction and within the broader perspective of contemporary 21st century female short fiction.
- To encourage a contextual reading of the story that incorporates a revision and re- evaluation of genre conventions of love and romance plots in short stories.
- To analyse how 21st century female short fiction fuels our reflection upon the ongoing changes related to sexual politics and gender issues in contemporary culture and society.
- To foster an awareness of the innovative and subversive force of female short fiction and its ongoing literary and political relevance within the canon.
- Brief introduction to contemporary female short fiction and the tenets of Postfeminist movement.
- Cat Person (2017) by Kristen Roupenian.
- Genre approach to domestic female fiction: You know you want this (2017) by Kristen Roupenian. Roupeninan's collection of short stories.
- Close reading of key passages of the short story with a focus on the story’s thematic potential and its conflictive issues.
- Group work: selection of relevant passages in order to fuel debates and discussions on the broader cultural and social themes that the story foregrounds.
- Upon closure, participants will be invited to respond critically to the text, as a way of eliciting their own personal responses to the story.
We will be using the online platform Zoom for our webinar sessions.
Please check the date and time of the webinar.
Time: from 10.00 to 11.30 a.m.